I never really liked cream cheese on anything but bagels. It was good as a base for dips, but other than that, I just didn’t have anything else to eat it with. Bagels were my staple.
In high school I was introduced to dipping hot Cheetos in cream cheese. At first I was opposed to it in every way, but after trying it, I was obsessed.
The next unexpected cream cheese food I tried was a Philadelphia roll. I love sushi, but I was weary about combining it with cream cheese. Cheese in general doesn’t go with sushi…cream cheese? A friend of mine convinced me and now it is one of my favorites.
After having a deep fried Philadelphia roll, I decided my aversion to cream cheese in hot foods was unprecedented. I started adding it to the meals I cooked, substituting nonfat cream cheese for whatever cheese was called for. It worked really well. I stuffed chicken breasts with a seasoned cream cheese mixture, breaded them, and baked. I used cream cheese instead of cream for a couple of my recipes, resulting in a thicker sauce.
I severely underestimated cream cheese, which I think a lot of us do with one food or another. Cream cheese is for bagels. Not anymore. I guess the whole point of this post is you shouldn’t take something and define it. Don’t be afraid to experiment or do something unexpected, be it with food or anything else.
- Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (athomewithalley.com)
- Easy Cream Cheese Chiquita Banana Turnovers Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Food Porn: Bagel Jay’s (Williamsville) (buffaloeats.org)
- Cream Cheese Recipes (Kraft.com)
- Recipe | Broccoli in a Cream and Cheese Sauce (selectism.com)
- Cream Cheese Pasta with Veggies (bookcasefoodie.wordpress.com)
- Italian Tiramisu…Schär Ladyfingers work great! (glutenfreemedley.wordpress.com)
- Cream Cheese ~ Pepper Dip (thebigchilicookoffevergreen.wordpress.com)